Friday, November 14, 2008

...and let there be a flood of justice...

"I hate all your show and pretense-the hypocrisy of your religious festivals and solemn assemblies. I will not accept your burnt offerings and grain offerings. I won't even notice all your choice peace offerings. Away with your noisy hymns of praise! I will not listen to the music of your harps. Instead, I want to see a mighty flood of justice, and endless river of righteous living" (Amos 5)

This word "justice" has been heavily on my mind lately. Maybe because it is heavily on the mind of our school, and is thrown around in my everyday life, but even so it has been on this mind of mine. A few weeks ago, I decided to read through the minor prophets. At first, i was just doing it for the sake of reading an entire book in one sitting...they are the smallest. But after reading only one book, Amos, I realized for the first time on my own how much the idea of "justice" is emphasized.

The definitions of Justice that come up on my computer are as follows (Encarta):
JUSTICE: 1.) Fairness or reasonableness, especially in the way people are treated or decisions are made. 2.) The legal system, or the act of applying or upholding the law.

Today I realized that the word "justice" can have more than one connotation with it. From what I realized today, the word "justice" can have an angry connotation to it. I think this comes from the second definition inferring a "justice will be served" idea. I think this definition/connotation of justice comes from focusing on the person/idea that will be punished when justice is served. It is evident in the Bible, that yes, we have a God that will bring justice and it will not be a joyous time for some. BUT, I think there is another way of viewing the word justice. A way that brings a connotation of hope. When justice is felt this way, it stems from looking at who is finally being treated right due to justice.

When I tested these thoughts (the sociologist within me) the results confirmed my hypothesis about this word. My tested subject said, "I think of a courtroom. But I also think of helping Africa."

I think that when thinking about the word justice, we should think of it from both angles, with both pairs of glasses on (ok..maybe one pair but with one rosy lens and one grey one). I think that it is important to see that yes, God will bring justice, and we are his hands and feet to try to do so. But also, that God's intention for Justice is not just to just bring wrath, but to bring hope to people...the oppressed, the trampled poor, the helpless, the crushed needy, the widow, the orphan, the hungry....it is important to see and feel the word jusice in both contexts.

No comments:

Post a Comment